cutting foam

View previous topic View next topic Go down

cutting foam

Post by andytripp on Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:34 am

This is my first time using the dragknife - I have the D2 and used the default settings that came with it.  I am using the ASPIRE gadget to program it.  Having some issues with sharp corners (now I looked at the instruction sheet and there is some useful tips).  One of the problems seemed to be it was tearing the foam when it was trying to make a turn.  I tried to solve that by breaking up my vectors and extending them out in the scrap area - I like the bypass loops shown in the info sheet - how far out do the bypass loops need to be. Overall I am pleased with what I have seen so far.

Also, what kind of feed is recommended?

andytripp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: cutting foam

Post by DonekTools on Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:37 pm

Andy,
try 4 to 6 inches per second for your feed speed.

bypass loops are also used in cutting with a plasma torch.  I think you can access that feature under fillets in the vectric software.

Some foams (like rediboard) can be difficult at corners for a couple of reasons.  If you have multiple corners close to each other you'll get some movement resulting in a crushed appearance to the cut.  Sometimes it is tough to see damage to the foam and that will present itself as more of a tear than a cut.  Your blade has to be very sharp/new.  We get about 30 to 60 minutes in rediboard before we start having difficulties.  You need to be sure your swivel height is right at the material surface.  If it is too deep, you have trouble as well.

Lastly, I recommend mirroring your artwork such that you are cutting from the back side.  This will give you the cleanest result on your presentation surface.
DonekTools
Admin

View user profile http://donektools.com

Back to top Go down

Post by andytripp on Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:28 pm

Thanks for the reply.  Good tips.  Looks like I was close on the feedrate parameter (200ipm).  I will take a look at the swivel height and look at mirroring my artwork.

Just got another opportunity on another job for using this tool on Friday.  Very Happy

andytripp

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top