Discuss the Donek Tools Drag Knife
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

G-Code File Generator....Metric Version ?

3 posters

Go down

G-Code File Generator....Metric Version ? Empty G-Code File Generator....Metric Version ?

Post by AndrewStanden Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:41 am

Hi Guys,

Do you have a Metric version of the box making software, or is it just a case of adding G20 to the G-Code
To run on my Mechmate using Mach3 software ?

I had a look at changing the code calculations in g_box_generator_v1.xls but the cells are password protected.

I have been programming cnc machines in the UK for over 20 years and have never used imperial.... does my head in....
all those thousandths of inches... and 64 ths and 32 nds ...... lol.

PS, Just about to purchase a D2 to make custom cardboard boxes for my products..
www.faywoodcrafts.co.uk

This started as a hobbie..... now getting serious.

regards
Andrew

AndrewStanden

Back to top Go down

G-Code File Generator....Metric Version ? Empty Re: G-Code File Generator....Metric Version ?

Post by DonekTools Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:48 am

The password on those files is to prevent inadvertent alterations to the code. The password is simply donek. The code should work just fine with metric units. If you need to add a G20, you should be able to find a place to do so.
DonekTools
DonekTools
Admin

http://donektools.com

Back to top Go down

G-Code File Generator....Metric Version ? Empty Re: G-Code File Generator....Metric Version ?

Post by AndrewStanden Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:09 am

Thanks just wanted to change the safe z clearance height to 3mm instead of the 0.1Inch which if i ran without any changes could give me a 0.1mm safe height.... might not be enough !! lol

Thanks for your help will play around with it a tad.

regards
Andrew

AndrewStanden

Back to top Go down

Post by Silo Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:39 am

Hi guys,

I'm a (Canadian) product designer living in Berlin, Germany (since 10 years).
I bought the D4 tool to produce my own packaging inserts for my products (I'm a die-hard DIY enthusiast!).
I have the fundamentals working at last!

Long story cut short:
I know the basics now for Gcode (abs vs. incr. G2/3 and so on)
I also get G20 (specify metric units) for interpolation (I can believe that Gcode has been around since the 50's!)

Problem:
My input measurements are in metric (G1 coordinates are in millimeters).
The Donek Excel tool works just fine, only the Z axis is still in imperial (fractions of an inch) it seems in the output file.

Question 1:
Should I just add 'G20' before these Z axis moves and G21 after them?
Since I know the Z axis height I would like for a swivel action (to tweak my material surface which is not always precise), should I just substitute that instead (example: 4,5mm material thickness means ca. 3,5mm swivel action height)?

Question 2:
In the Donek Excel tool, does it make it's calculation assuming that my input measurements are inches instead of millimeters and therefore makes the compensation calculation accordingly? Or does that even matter? The x,y change does not matter (inches or millimeters), it's only the swivel action that is important to have the right measurement system...

Comment:
I would send you guys a case of beer if you'd just add a metric/imperial toggle for the Excel spreadsheet! I have a lot of colleagues around me that are very interested in what I am doing. But imperial is more than an Englisch/Deutsch problem if you know what I mean!

;-)

All the best from across the water!

Simon

Silo

Back to top Go down

Post by Silo Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:50 am

Correction! G20 = Imperial! ;-)

And I mean to edit the Gcode after the Donek Excel tool has exported the new file!

Silo

Back to top Go down

Post by DonekTools Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:08 am

There is an updated version of the g-code swivel program on the web site. In all of the versions, however, you simply need to enter a metric value for your swivel height and offset to get it to function. If, this is not working, please e-mail me a copy of you source and output file, so I can track down the situation and correct it.
DonekTools
DonekTools
Admin

http://donektools.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down