Fusion 360 drag knife tool path creation

Go down

Fusion 360 drag knife tool path creation Empty Fusion 360 drag knife tool path creation

Post by WhiteRoom Skis on Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:12 pm

Does anyone use F360 to create their tool paths? If so can you give a description of how you create them? F360 doesn't have a native drag knife tool path but it does have some other 2d cutting tools

How do you add the swivel code into the G code F360 creates?

Thank you

Vin

WhiteRoom Skis

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Fusion 360 drag knife tool path creation Empty Re: Fusion 360 drag knife tool path creation

Post by DonekTools on Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:36 pm

manually adding corner actions is extremely time consuming. You can try to use the excel program on the donektools web site, but that requires a certain aptitude with coding.

The only software currently offering corner actions is vectric's v-carve and apsire and SheetCAM.

If you are doing external sharp corners, it is possible to use a plasma loop, but that does waste some material. If you are die cutting base graphics, I would recommend rounding all your corners or purchasing sheetCAM.

DonekTools
Admin

View user profile http://donektools.com

Back to top Go down

Fusion 360 drag knife tool path creation Empty Re: Fusion 360 drag knife tool path creation

Post by WhiteRoom Skis on Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:48 am

I’m revisiting this topic since I’m being given a D2.

Can the drag knife corners excel program run from the command line in Windows as described in this link https://wellsr.com/vba/2015/excel/run-macro-without-opening-excel-using-vbscript/

My problem is I run fusion in my Mac for design. My laptop is windows based to run Mach 3 but is bare bones and doesn’t have excel on it. After some research I think it is possible to generate code in fusion, run it thru the excel program to add corner and save to use in Mach 3.

Ideas?

WhiteRoom Skis

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteRoom Skis on Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:28 pm

I’ve successfully produced trace toolpath gcode in F360 and run it thru the excel macro to produce corner actions.

WhiteRoom Skis

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteRoom Skis on Tue Dec 25, 2018 4:17 pm

I am in the process of writing a tutorial for generating tool paths from Fusion 360, running it thru the excel worksheet and generating corner actions.

I have it mostly figured out. The last parts I need are what code to add to get the program to start in Mach3 since the excel worksheet drop the header code block.

I can copy and paste from the original (non-corners file) but it runs at a snails pace.

If anyone has any info on what code to add in the comment and header fields to get the the file to start please let me know.

I would like to share this on various outlets so that others can use this as well.

Also I have found another tidbit tucked away in another portion of this forum posted back in 2015

"There is an updated version of the g-code swivel program on the web site. In all of the versions, however, you simply need to enter a metric value for your swivel height and offset to get it to function. If, this is not working, please e-mail me a copy of you source and output file, so I can track down the situation and correct it."

WhiteRoom Skis

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteRoom Skis on Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:54 pm

Click the link to read my thread on the Fusion 360 forum. There's a draft version of a tutorial on how to add corner actions to F360 g-code.

I still need to figure out feed rate control. If anyone knows how to do that please reply here. I'm guessing it is controlled in the header field or manually by editing the g-code after the corner actions are generated.

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/fusion-360-computer-aided/adding-corner-actions-to-drag-knife-tool-paths-with-the-donek/m-p/8487262/highlight/false#M55789

WhiteRoom Skis

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiteRoom Skis on Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:56 pm

OK have figured out where to add feed rate in the code. Feed rate needs to be added to the end of first line that starts with G1.
See the link at the bottom of the page to access the tutorial

Also please review my work if you get the chance to verify my work.
Fusion 360 drag knife tool path creation Large?v=1

Fusion 360 tutorial thread

WhiteRoom Skis

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down